Keep your home safe this Halloween
Halloween festivities can make the holiday special for kids and adults alike. Watching the children run door to door to trick-or-treat and enjoying the decorations that are displayed can be very exciting, but also a danger. Glowing jack-o-lanterns, dried cornstalks and flowing costumes together can become a fire risk. Taking some fire safety precautions can help ensure a safe holiday full of fun.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, the following are the top five Halloween fire safety tips:
*Use a battery-operated candle or glow stick in jack-o-lanterns
*When choosing costumes, stay away from long trailing fabric
*Teach children to stay away from open flames, including jack-o-lanterns with candles in them.
*Dried flowers, cornstalks, and crepe paper catch fire easily. Keep all decorations away from open flames and other heat sources like light bulbs and heaters
*Provide children with flashlights to carry for lighting or glow sticks as part of their costume.
By planning ahead, you can help make this Halloween fire-safe.
If you do experience a house fire during this Halloween season, call SERVPRO of Medina County/Gateway/Western Lake County at 1-800-933-7179.