Safety of the Fireplaces
One of the best things on a cold night is a hot fire and a good book. With a few tips, you can have a safe and cozy night at home.
- Only burn dry, cured wood. That means wood that has dried for 8-12 months. Green wood can cause soot build up in your chimney.
- Don't burn treated or construction wood. It can be chemically treated and produce dangerous fumes when burned.
- Never leave a fire unattended, especially around children.
- Place a nonflammable rug in front of your fireplace to absorb any sparks that could damage your carpet.
- Install carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.
- Use your fireplace doors.
- Keep a fire extinguisher on hand just in case.
- Build your fire slowly.
- Get your chimney cleaned twice a year and inspected once a year.
- Call SERVPRO Of Medina County for any Emergency clean ups. at 1-800-933-7179