If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (800) 933-7179

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Using space heaters can ignite a fire if placed too close to things that burn!

1/20/2021 (Permalink)

Ceiling with light fixture missing and smoke damaged Fires can cause smoke damage to all areas of your home.

Using space heaters in a home or office are typically used to raise the temperature in a specific room. Radiant heaters directly heat the people and the area around the heater rather than the whole room.  They are usually heating a single room for a few hours.  But, they can ignite a fire because they are typically located near objects that may be flammable materials such as clothing, bedding or furniture.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission urges consumers to be alert to hidden hazards in the home, especially during winter’s colder months.

  • Keep material, such as curtains, sofas, beds, clothes and papers at least three feet away from space heaters.
  • Always plug space heaters directly into a wall outlet. Never plug a space heater into a power strip. Overloaded powers strips can catch fire.

If using a portable heater under a desk in an office, it’s important to remember to turn it off at the end of the day.  A heater left on could heat up materials that could start a fire.  Employees should be reminded to shut them off and keep combustible materials away from the heater.

If you have a fire in your business or home that was caused by a portable space heater, call SERVPRO of Medina County/ Gateway / Western Lake County for your fire cleaning services.  Our highly experienced and trained professionals will take care of you, your home and your business.  Call us at 800-933-7179.

Other News

View Recent Posts